I haven’t done one of these in a while and I miss them! So now, here I am with all of my favourite songs that I listened to throughout January – although not necessarily new tracks. Also, they are not in any particular order! :)
- Party Monster – The Weeknd
- Cool Girl – Tove Lo
- All Time Low – Jon Bellion
- Final Song – MØ
- Jealous – Labrinth
- Woke The F*ck Up – Jon Bellion (Acoustic)
- Move Your Body – Sia (Single Mix)
- Shape Of You – Ed Sheeran
- Human – Jon Bellion (Acoustic)
- Castle On The Hill – Ed Sheeran
- Desire – Years & Years ft. Tove Lo
- I Feel It Coming – The Weeknd
That’s it. I know it’s a bit longer than usual, but I genuinely listened to all of them a lot. As you can see, I discovered Jon Bellion last month and listend to him quite a bit. I can’t believe that I only found out about him this year, it’s insane! He is really great and talented, check him out if you haven’t heard of him yet!
As usual, I’m in love with both of Ed Sheeran’s new songs, they are amazing. I also had a bit of a throwback session with Labrinth, Tove Lo and MØ songs, which felt so good.
This is all for now. Let me know what your favourite songs of January were! See you soon! :)
I had waited for so long for Sia‘s ‘This Is Acting‘ album to come out, that I felt blessed when it finally was released a week ago. I have listened to the album a few times so far and I have to admit that I absolutely love it.
The album itself is titled This Is Acting, because Sia put together the songs she wrote for other artists, but were rejected. She decided to make an entire album out of those songs and she couldn’t have done better in my opinion. As you can probably guess, because these tunes were not initially written for herself, the album is very diverse concerning the different genres appearing on it. I will try to write a few sentences about each song of the album.
- Bird Set Free – It’s a song I have loved for a long time, because I think it has such a unique sound to it. As fas as I’m concerned Adele rejected this song, which I don’t mind at all. This song is so powerful and complements Sia’s voice beautifully. It was originally written for Pitch Perfect 2, which makes me so sad, I would have loved to hear it in the movie, since it’s one of my favourites.
- Alive – I adore this song. I love the lyrics and the rhythm, simply everything. It had been one of my favourites for months. Again, it was rejected by Adele. I have to repeat myself here, because it has such a powerful vibe and you feel like you can do anything after hearing this song.
- One Million Bullets – Surprisingly, this is the only song that Sia did not send to anyone and kept it for herself. I can understand it, because it suits Sia’s style perfectly. I still can’t get over what she can do with her voice in this song, it sounds incredibly hard to do.
- Move Your Body – You immediately think of Shakira when you hear this song. Yes, she rejected it. The rhythm is very upbeat and fun and would have suited Shakira’s style very well, I have no idea why she rejected this masterpiece.
- Unstoppable – It will be in my monthly favourites post, I can tell you right now. I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. It is really inspirational and speaks to my heart on a different level. I feel a close connection to this song and I’m not sure why Rihanna didn’t want to have this perfection on her album.
- Cheap Thrills – It’s basically the opposite of Bitch Better Have My Money by Rihanna, so if I look at this song, I completely understand now why Rihanna rejected it. I love Rihanna, so I don’t mind the Rihanna-vibe in this tune at all. It also has been in a couple of my ‘Songs Of The Month’ posts as well.
- Reaper – Yep, Rihanna again. Sia said in an interview that she thought it was a fun song, but did not anticipate it being on the record, she only put it on the album because her manager liked it. To be honest, it’s one of my least favourite songs from the album. I don’t feel a connection to it either. Although, I think that it is definitely a good song and it’s not a problem that it turned out to be on This Is Acting.
- House On Fire – The song was rejected by Katy Perry. I can’t say that much about this song, it is not one of my favourites, but for me personally, it’s a nice, relaxing song – don’t ask me why, I don’t know.
- Footprints – A Beyonce reject. In my opinion it very much sounds like a Beyonce song and she should have accepted the song. However, Sia made it sound magical.
- Sweet Design – I love how different it is. It was rejected by Beyonce, but it would have sounded amazing if she sang it. Don’t get me wrong, Sia sounds great in this song, it just isn’t her style at all. I like the song a lot though, especially because of its unique sound.
- Broken Glass – Demi Lovato rejected this song, but I can’t get around the reason why. It is a beautiful power ballad and I would never have guessed that it wasn’t written for Sia herfelf, because it is very similar to Sia’s usual songs in my opinion.
- Space Between – Sia originally offered this song to Rihanna, then asked for it back because she loved it so much. This is a heavenly ballad and compliments Sia’s voice unbelievably.
All in all, I am very satisfied with how the album turned out and I like the idea that she put together an entire album full of rejected songs. I think it’s amazing. I have never been disappointed in any Sia songs in my life, to be honest, and for me she is one of the most talented artists in the world right now, she’s incredible.
What do you think of This Is Acting? Do you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter, my username is @justkingablog. I hope you enjoyed reading this post and got inspired to listen to her album if you haven’t already.
I also have an announcement today. I decided to try my best to stick to a Friday upload on my blog. I tried to follow this schedule last year, but not always managed to and so far this year’s upload schedule has been all over the place. So this means that there will be a new post every Friday (I will try my best), and sometimes I will post bonus posts as well if I have something exciting to tell you. That’s all I had to say for now, I hope you’re having a lovely day. See you soon! :)
Tomorrow is the last day of 2015, it is crazy! This year flew by quicker than I thought it would. It’s also true about December. It was so short! I am very content with my music favourites this month, I think it’s a nice list to end the year. Here it the list, and of course the songs aren’t in any particular order.
- Half The World Away – AURORA
- Rest Your Love – The Vamps
- Eyes Shut – Years & Years
- Somebody to Love – Jordan Smith (Queen cover)
- Cheap Thrills – Sia
- UGH! – The 1975
- When We Were Young – Adele (Live at The Church Studios)
- Cake By The Ocean – DNCE
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas – Michael Bublé
- Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin’ Stevens
These are some of my favourite songs of this month, what are yours? I hope you enjoyed reading this post. Have a very happy new year! I’ll do a resolutions post and I’m also thinking about writing a songs of the year post, what are your thoughts? See you soon! :)
It’s almost June, so I’m here with another songs of the month post. I’m excited for next month, but I have lots of chapter tests left, so I have to study loads for those. But I have only two weeks left, then almost a three-month summer break. This month I had some songs that I listened to non-stop, and there were songs that I love, but didn’t listen to that much. But I still managed to create a list of 10 songs for you. There are some older songs, too, which I was obsessed with this month. Also, the language of the new Maroon 5 song really bothers me, I actually like the clean version better, but I could not find it anywhere in studio quality. I included two of my favourite Eurovision songs, and I’d like to mention that I’m so glad that Sweden won! Such an amazing, catchy tune. (The songs are not in any particular order):
1. Crazy Youngsters – Ester Dean (Pitch Perfect 2)
2. This Summer’s Gonna Hurt Like A Motherf****r – Maroon 5
3. Flashlight – Jessie J
4. Love Is An Open Door – Frozen
5. Bright – Ecosmith Continue reading Songs Of The Month – May
January flew by so quickly! I thought it will go by very slowly, as it usually does, so I’m surprised now. This month wasn’t the most pruductive month so far concerning the music, songs I listened to. Almost every song is very old, and kind of throwbacky. Sia’s ’Chandelier’ was also in my December favourites, and I think before then, too, but I’m in a huge love with the live version of it which she did on SNL, especially the idea of the sign language involved in. There is one song, ’Earned It’ by The Weeknd which I normally won’t put in this list, because I really don’t like the music video for it, but I like the song and I listened to it a lot last month, so I guess I should still put it on the list. By the way, the songs are not necessarily in order.
- Chandelier – Sia (Live on SNL)
- Sugar – Maroon 5
- Take Me To Church – Hozier
- Elastic Heart – Sia
- Get Home – Angus & Julia Stone Continue reading Songs Of The Month – January
The first day of school in 2015 is officially over, so now I’m here with my monthly favourite songs. Last month I didn’t really recognize any new music, or I just didn’t like any that I had found. I listened to a lot of Christmas songs, as it was December, and I was listening to lots of my old favourites nonstop, too. To be honest, that one Taylor Swift song really bothers me, because as I’ve mentioned before, I don’t like her music. That song by her is probably my least favourite, but I couldn’t not put it in my favourites, since I listened to it a bunch of times on Youtube, and on the radio as well (but I haven’t downloaded it for those reasons). Anyway, it’s complicated. Let’s get on with the list! (They aren’t particularly in order.)
1. Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars
2. Give Our Dreams Their Wings To Fly – Tim McMorris
3. Best Day Of My Life – American Authors
4. Blank Space – Taylor Swift
5. Mirrors – Justin Timbrelake Continue reading Songs Of The Month – December