I had waited for so long for Sia‘s ‘This Is Acting‘ album to come out, that I felt blessed when it finally was released a week ago. I have listened to the album a few times so far and I have to admit that I absolutely love it.
The album itself is titled This Is Acting, because Sia put together the songs she wrote for other artists, but were rejected. She decided to make an entire album out of those songs and she couldn’t have done better in my opinion. As you can probably guess, because these tunes were not initially written for herself, the album is very diverse concerning the different genres appearing on it. I will try to write a few sentences about each song of the album.
- Bird Set Free – It’s a song I have loved for a long time, because I think it has such a unique sound to it. As fas as I’m concerned Adele rejected this song, which I don’t mind at all. This song is so powerful and complements Sia’s voice beautifully. It was originally written for Pitch Perfect 2, which makes me so sad, I would have loved to hear it in the movie, since it’s one of my favourites.
- Alive – I adore this song. I love the lyrics and the rhythm, simply everything. It had been one of my favourites for months. Again, it was rejected by Adele. I have to repeat myself here, because it has such a powerful vibe and you feel like you can do anything after hearing this song.
- One Million Bullets – Surprisingly, this is the only song that Sia did not send to anyone and kept it for herself. I can understand it, because it suits Sia’s style perfectly. I still can’t get over what she can do with her voice in this song, it sounds incredibly hard to do.
- Move Your Body – You immediately think of Shakira when you hear this song. Yes, she rejected it. The rhythm is very upbeat and fun and would have suited Shakira’s style very well, I have no idea why she rejected this masterpiece.
- Unstoppable – It will be in my monthly favourites post, I can tell you right now. I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. It is really inspirational and speaks to my heart on a different level. I feel a close connection to this song and I’m not sure why Rihanna didn’t want to have this perfection on her album.
- Cheap Thrills – It’s basically the opposite of Bitch Better Have My Money by Rihanna, so if I look at this song, I completely understand now why Rihanna rejected it. I love Rihanna, so I don’t mind the Rihanna-vibe in this tune at all. It also has been in a couple of my ‘Songs Of The Month’ posts as well.
- Reaper – Yep, Rihanna again. Sia said in an interview that she thought it was a fun song, but did not anticipate it being on the record, she only put it on the album because her manager liked it. To be honest, it’s one of my least favourite songs from the album. I don’t feel a connection to it either. Although, I think that it is definitely a good song and it’s not a problem that it turned out to be on This Is Acting.
- House On Fire – The song was rejected by Katy Perry. I can’t say that much about this song, it is not one of my favourites, but for me personally, it’s a nice, relaxing song – don’t ask me why, I don’t know.
- Footprints – A Beyonce reject. In my opinion it very much sounds like a Beyonce song and she should have accepted the song. However, Sia made it sound magical.
- Sweet Design – I love how different it is. It was rejected by Beyonce, but it would have sounded amazing if she sang it. Don’t get me wrong, Sia sounds great in this song, it just isn’t her style at all. I like the song a lot though, especially because of its unique sound.
- Broken Glass – Demi Lovato rejected this song, but I can’t get around the reason why. It is a beautiful power ballad and I would never have guessed that it wasn’t written for Sia herfelf, because it is very similar to Sia’s usual songs in my opinion.
- Space Between – Sia originally offered this song to Rihanna, then asked for it back because she loved it so much. This is a heavenly ballad and compliments Sia’s voice unbelievably.
All in all, I am very satisfied with how the album turned out and I like the idea that she put together an entire album full of rejected songs. I think it’s amazing. I have never been disappointed in any Sia songs in my life, to be honest, and for me she is one of the most talented artists in the world right now, she’s incredible.
What do you think of This Is Acting? Do you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter, my username is @justkingablog. I hope you enjoyed reading this post and got inspired to listen to her album if you haven’t already.
I also have an announcement today. I decided to try my best to stick to a Friday upload on my blog. I tried to follow this schedule last year, but not always managed to and so far this year’s upload schedule has been all over the place. So this means that there will be a new post every Friday (I will try my best), and sometimes I will post bonus posts as well if I have something exciting to tell you. That’s all I had to say for now, I hope you’re having a lovely day. See you soon! :)